All things Baby, all the time.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Monday Morning Mia--Sad Mom Edition

I dropped Mia off at school today for her very first full day. I packed up an extra special lunch for her and added in a sippy cup of milk for her nap. I tucked a baby blanket into her school bag and tossed in her stuffed pink cat, Pinky. (Actually, I tossed in a stunt double. We ordered an extra Pinky and an extra Manny (penguin) to live at school. Manny 2 hasn't arrived yet. Original Pinky and Manny are at home in the crib, probably sad and lonely that their companion isn't home to nap with them).

As soon as we arrived in the parking lot Mia's face lit up. "Friends? Sarah? Two Sarahs?" she asked. I promised that her friends would be there, and she practically jumped out of her car seat to walk from the car to the school.

She walked right into the classroom, went straight to her cubby and got her slippers, and brought them over to the little bench where she sits to change her shoes. I gently placed her special items from home into their special slot in the cubby, on top of the little sheet they provide to cover the sleeping mats. Her teacher asked her if she wanted help with her slippers, and Mia said yes, so the two of them exchanged Mia's outside shoes for her slippers.

After exchanging a few details with the teacher, I gave Mia a quick hug and kiss. She barely allowed me to do so as she walked over to join her friends. She didn't even look back as I walked away.

It's almost naptime at school now, and I'm hoping with all my heart that she sleeps well there. The teachers turn on quiet music, close the shades and turn out the lights, and give the kids backrubs as they drift off to sleep. Mia has never slept anywhere but her crib or the pack and play, occasionally on our bed. Last week, though, she asked her teachers if she could take a nap at school, so I know she knows that the other kids do it. The teachers said they'd call if she had a hard time, but I know she'll do great.

Only 3.5 more hours until I can go pick her up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

How Popular are we?