All things Baby, all the time.

Thursday, November 10, 2005

The practice child

Now there are some parents out there that may take offense when we compare their baby to our dog. I can understand that. The danger of false equivalency is everywhere, to wit, were I to claim:

“I understand the pain of childbirth because my brother, on occasion, kicked me in the nads”

..would do nothing but guarantee a lifetime of me being afraid my wife will remind me of the pain of childbirth. But I digress.

Dogs are not children. We’re not crazy, or at least not that flavor of crazy. Having said that, Walter has in fact been a good sparring partner getting us ready.

  • He wakes up at all hours of the night. I think once in the last 2 years I’ve actually heard my alarm go off. Otherwise it’s a 56 pound dog standing on my chest, whining to go outside, or on his more creative days, stealing our glasses of the nightstand. He knows what works.
  • He stuffs truly disgusting things in his mouth, which sometimes, I just have to go elbow deep in dog slobber to get out. Dead birds, rotted food, anything pungent really.
  • He cries for no apparent reason. Doesn’t want to go outside. Doesn’t want his food. Won’t play with his ball. Just cries.
  • When thunderstorms hit, he crawls into bed with us.
  • His medical bills come at the worst times, leaving us waiting at the Vet instead of out having fun.
  • At the dog park in NY we try to set him up with friends when he’s too shy to play.
  • In private we acknowledge how much better he is than other dogs.

    Now if he would only get in the Baby Bjorn


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

How Popular are we?