All things Baby, all the time.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Playing the odds

We started this whole thing with less than 100% confidence we were having a girl. The technician was just the littlest bit hesitant when we had our early ultrasound. “I’m pretty sure I know, but let me check with the doctor first”. There was a thrilling two minutes while we waited for the doctor; Corrie and I trying to discern a penis in a field of what looked to be nothing beyond television static. When the Doctor came in she took one look and with full certainty announced we were having a girl. No question. Easy Call.

Now we already know one couple that was burned by this. Thought they were having a girl, bought all the pink clothes. Painted the room. Picked out a name…. You get the picture.

All this as prelude to last weekend. While getting a manicure, I understand a leathery old woman laid her hands on Corrie’s belly (something you should really ask permission for first by the way) and announced with certainty, “Boy”.

I’m not a superstitious person. Don’t believe in jinxing. Will routinely say, “we haven’t hit traffic yet” much to my wife’s angst, inviting the fates to smite us with an overturned tractor. There is science behind the idea that we’re having a girl, so as far as I’m concerned, that’s the way it is. But for the brave few of you out there that want it “to be a surprise” when your baby comes, know that there is always that kernel of doubt to keep things interesting. I don’t know what last weekend does to the Vegas line, but will update the odds accordingly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you haven't read the book 'Middlesex' yet then I take it? Kidding.....

11:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

How Popular are we?