All things Baby, all the time.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The nightly pat down

"Try not to squish me dad"

If we had ever spent a night letting her sleep in the bed with us I could understand. As it is, this is just getting chalked up to the poor wiring of a simple mind. Lately, I’ve been waking up almost every night at least once, convinced that Mia is somewhere in our bed, either wrapped up in the covers, or at risk of being sat upon by our dog.

It starts with a faint suspicion with a very rational understanding that there is no reason for her to be in the bed. But it’s tough to explain away irrational fears, so I sit bolt upright, and start patting down the sheets, very gently, to see if I can find her. Maybe she crawled into the duvet cover or pillow case (no, she can’t crawl yet, I said it was irrational). Is she down by our feet? Check all around Walter for non-furry bits.

Typically after about 30 seconds I’ll wake up fully and realize she’s in her crib in another room, but it’s a slow panic until then. Knowing that it’s happened fairly regularly doesn’t seem to help dismiss the fear.

I’m thinking it has something to do with having Walter in the bed, something I know some of you out there find filthy and repulsive. All I can say is, until you’ve had a 60 lb Gund pressing himself against the back of your legs, you haven’t known a good nights sleep. As far as phobia’s go, it’s a mild annoyance, but I think it’s getting to Corrie, who on occasion has taken to helping with a timely, “she’s not here, stop patting my shoulder, go back to sleep”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

How Popular are we?